A couple housekeeping notes:Thanks to all that attended the GIS Happy Hour! It was a great turnout and seemed to be a fun event for everyone. Thanks to our sponsors of the event: MTI, Erb Turf, Burris, Winfield, SiteOne, D & K, and Waupaca!!!! Your support makes these events a success. To our superintendent and assistant superintendent members, the PRP vendors make education, social, and golf events feasible for our group. PLEASE support them in 2020 when making purchasing decisions.
Also, congrats again to Paul Sermersheim! He was the recipient of our first ever GIS trip. He took full advantage and we can't wait to hear from him about the experience!
Board of Director's updates:
As many of you may know, Perry Green is transitioning out of Stone Creek. Last month, he gave the Board notice that he would no longer be able to serve. Scott White accept an appointment to fill the remaining term of Perry's Secretary/Treasurer position. Brett Oxley was appointed a Director, to fill the vacancy left by Scott's move into an officer position. Thanks to Scott and Brett for stepping up.
We had the good fortune to join Leann Cooper and Shane Conroy of GCSAA for a Board Orientation meeting. Leann and Shane gave a great summary of all that is required as an affiliated chapter and an officer/director on a Board.
A few key takeaways were:
- It is the Boards job to establish the identity of the chapter, ensure the resources are managed properly, and provide insight- practicing legal integrity. In other words, attend business meetings and be prepared, put CICGSA Business over personal gains, and comply with all legal regulations and established By-laws.
- We must always remember the purpose of the association: "to advance the art and science of turfgrass management"
- Meet all requirements to maintain our 501c6 status with the IRS and an incorporated business in Illinois
- Maintain affiliation with GCSAA and keep liability coverage in good standing
- Continue to work towards our goals established at the Strategic Planning Session in 2019. Here is a link to a summary of that session: 2019 Strategic Plan
Business Meeting summary:
Following the Orientation Session, we held our February business meeting. Routine business was discussed and updates given from each committee chair. A few highlights were:
- PRP and membership drive is continuing, with a plan to direct call non-renewals after the March business meeting. For PRP and membership renewal click here: CIGCSA
- Event Updates:
- The March Career Development Day is looking great! Register here: Career Development Day
- Our April Meeting is a joint meeting with Southern IL GCSA. We will have Lee Miller from the Univ of Missouri before golf and a chance to watch the NCAA Championship basketball game after golf. Book a room and make it a quick getaway before the summer grind begins!
- Finalized date for Scholarship: Monday May 11, 2020 at Danville CC ( a nod to James Brandt and those that started the scholarship- back to its roots)
- We are looking for a new sight for our Vendors' Day as Ray Actis is no longer with Lincoln Elks. We will update a day and venue ASAP
- We want to engage young people to try and introduce them to the turfgrass field.
- Dan Crumrine and Brett Oxley plan to host a course tour for FFA students that attend the state convention in Springfield this June.
- Travis Williams and Tyler Bain are planning to host a First Green Field trip for the 2020/2021 school year. The plan is to bring Tyler's wife's 5th grade class from Unit 5 school district in Normal, IL to Weibring Golf Club.
- These two initiatives are very exciting for the Board and we hope you will consider volunteering time and resources to make them a success.
- Our Assistant liaison, Corey Wisher, provided an update on the committee he is forming and asked that our superintendent members encourage their assistants to participate and attend events. We hope to host our first ever Assistants only event in 2020! SO PLEASE MAKE IT A PRIORITY TO ALLOW YOUR ASSISTANTS TO ATTEND. They are the future of our industry!
Overall, we are developing a strong work plan for the Board in 2020. We hope that as members you will help us by engaging and attending these events. If you plan to attend an event, please consider texting or calling a colleague to join your group or share a ride.
Thanks for reading!